Tuesday, November 09, 2004

In today's Ha'Aretz I read two excellent opinion articles. Ami Ayalon urges Israel's leaders not to wait and see what will happen on the Palestinian side after Arafat will pass away, but to take the initiative, support Palestinian moderates and revive true peace initiatives.
I heard the name Irshad Manji before but I did not really know her or her work. After reading this article I think I will buy her book, The Trouble with Islam, she seems to be a fascinating personality who knows what she is talking about. She is proof of the fact that critical Muslims do exist, although many other Muslims will probably call her an apostate. Have a look at her website, which is called Muslim Refusenik ( now that is interesting: as far as I know the term 'refusenik' was first used to describe Zionist-Jewish dissidents in the Soviet Union during the 1970 ). An amusing detail ( because of the name of the award ): Irshad was awarded a Chutzpah award by Oprah Winfrey for her “audacity, nerve, boldness and conviction.”

No comments: