Thursday, April 28, 2005

In today's Ha'Aretz I read, right above my own letter to the editor that I sent the day before yesterday, a letter that was written by professor Bill Freedman of Haifa University: Reject the AUT Regarding "British lecturers boycott Bar-Ilan and Haifa universities" April 25 The proper response to the British Association of University Teachers (AUT), it seems to me, is not a plea for acceptance, but contemptuous rejection and dissociation. Groucho Marx quipped that he would not join any club that would have him as a member. Personally, I'd want nothing to do with a club (the proper word for this community of thugs) that rejected me for reasons as blatantly prejudicial, distorted and absurd as those that led the AUT to single out Israeli universities as appropriate targets for a boycott. My hope is that decent, self-respecting scholars, Jewish and otherwise, in Israel and elsewhere, will share this contempt and publicly declare it. Prof. Bill Freedman Haifa

No comments: