Monday, June 27, 2005

Last night I saw Batman Begins. Not really a bad movie, but hardly a very good one either. All the attention that the movie receives is due to very good marketing, it seems to me. The storyline is quite confused and confusing, the script contains many superfluous pseudo-mystical phrases, and few of the characters are convincing. Katie Holmes is o.k., as are Cillian Murphy ( dr. Jonathan Crane ), Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Rutger Hauer, Holland's pride in Hollywood. As for Christian Bale, as a comic character Batman possesses one dimension more than this guy has in the movie. Even Liam Neeson and Gary Oldman ( two actors whom I like very much ) were a bit annoying. Still, the film is well produced, and I did not really suffer for 140 minutes while watching it. It saved me a lot of time: if Christian Bale is the perfect Batman and the best Bruce Wayne ever ( as I read in at least one review ) I definitely do not want to see Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, or George Clooney in that role.

No comments: