Thursday, July 07, 2005

At least I got some good news today. First of all, we received a letter telling us in which of three first classes our daughter will be next year at her school. She will be in the same class as at least one of her best friends, who happens to live in the same building as we. The two of them play together all the time and we are good friends with the girl's parents. I also received an e-mail telling me that a series of microfilms containing some very important sources for my research finally will be sent next week from Paris. The head of the archive where the microfilms are deposited promised me already twice ( in February 2004 and again one year later ) that she would make sure copies were made and sent as an interlibrary loan to the library of my university. I started to get anxious and frustrated already, because she did not reply to my e-mails. Yesterday I sent her one more e-mail, with some trenchant language but not too agressive, and I just got her reply, promising me that she will make sure copies are made this week, and next week the copies will be sent by FedEx. For some reason - don't ask me why - I believe her.
As for the terror attacks in London, when I waited outside our daughter's kindergarten to pick up her and her aforementioned best friend, someone said what is said here often after terror attacks abroad, but what in my opinion is unacceptable: "At least they get to taste something of what we are going through all the time." Even the slightest satisfaction is inadmissible when other innocent people are suffering. Besides, unfortunately the British people knows quite well what we are going through, better than most people in Europe. Terror is not something unknown to them, allthough until now most of 'their' terror came from the IRA and other Irish terror groups if I am not mistaken. There is something Israeli in all this, though: after the joy and relief that was seen in London yesterday when the city was awarded the organization of the 2012 Olympics, now all that we see is confusion, fear, devastation, and blood, lots of it. That is one of the saddest parts of being forced to live with terror: you are hardly ever allowed to fully enjoy the good things of life, every second whatever you are celebrating can be ruined by having to follow the latest news bulletins after yet another attack, or by being right in the middle of such an attack.

No comments: