Friday, July 08, 2005

Two years ago I received a number of complimentary tickets for concerts of the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra. At the last concert that I attended I watched and heard performances of Symphony in 3 movements and Petrushka of Igor Stravinsky, plus Beethoven's fifth piano concerto. Always when I am working or reading I listen to music, most of it classical. Modern classical music is not really my cup of tea, and I did not like the idea of having to listen to two pieces of Stravinsky. Still, although I went only to see Daniel Barenboim play the Emperor concerto, I really enjoyed the first part of the concert as well. Stravinsky uses a lot of instruments that you do not hear every day in a philharmonic orchestra. Petrushka has some beautiful short solos for different instruments. In the following weeks I searched for a CD with the two works that I heard that evening. I found this double CD, named "Bernstein conducts Stravinsky". It contains both the symphony and Petrushka, plus other famous works by Stravinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps, L'Oiseau de Feu, and Scenes de Ballet. This week I listened to the SdP and to Petrushka several times, and only now did I notice that the orchestra directed by Bernstein is the IPO. The orchestra's name does not appear on the CD's cover ( probably those people at Deutsche Grammophon are a bunch of anti-Semites, I thought, but then, why mention Lenny B.? ), apparently when I bought the album I only looked at the name of Bernstein, the yellow icon of DG and the titles of the compositions.

No comments: