Sunday, July 24, 2005

When I visited the This Day in History webpages of the New York Times and the History Channel this morning, I read that 60, 54 and 53 years ( and one more day: because of the time difference with the US, apparently ) ago several historical events took place that are relevant to my fields of interest: 1945 French Marshal Henri Petain, who had headed the Vichy government during World War II, went on trial, charged with treason. ( NYT ) 1951 Petain, leader of the Vichy government, dies ( HC ) 1952 Egyptian military officers led by Gamal Abdel Nasser overthrew King Farouk I. ( NYT, HC ) Also, I read about something that happened almost one year before I was born and that I did not know about: 1967 Rioting that claimed some 43 lives erupted in Detroit. (NYT, HC )

No comments: