Tuesday, September 13, 2005

When I clicked on This Day in History I was reminded of the fact that twelve years ago in Washington the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements was signed by Shimon Peres and Mahmoud Abbas. I watched the ceremony in the living room of Michal Goldfarb at kibbutz Kissufim, where I had spent the previous 16 months or so after having come to Israel for one year only ( I have been in the country ever since basically, except for short stays/holidays in Europe and the US, plus five ( with my family ) and three ( alone ) months in Paris ). Isn't it ironic that of all the main characters that played a role in that ceremony only Peres and Abbas are still, or again, more or less in power? Clinton stopped being President seven years later ( may he live to be a 120 ), Yitzhak Rabin was murdered almost ten years ago by a religious fanatic-political opponent, and Yasser Arafat died last year. One month after the ceremony I left the kibbutz, and in recent years the Kissufim has become a household name in Israel and abroad, since it was until yesterday Israel's main entrance into and exit from the Gaza Strip.

No comments: