Friday, November 11, 2005

Today France and other countries remember the armistice that ended World War I, and honor the soldiers who died in that war. Two years ago I attended the beautiful ceremony near the Arc de Triomphe, for the first time using my Nikon Coolpix 5400 digital camera. I went together with our very good friend Avraham ( aka "sabba Avraham", as our children call him; they basically have three grandfathers: opa - my father -, sabba - or sabba Shmuel: my father-in-law -, and sabba Avraham ), who spent almost a month in Paris while we lived there. He took the above picture from where we stood. I took almost the same photo, but it is on one of the backup CD-ROMs with our family pictures from France 2003-4, which I do not have at hand right now. The weather was beautiful that day, I just saw that today it is mostly cloudy in Paris.
Remembering the security measures that we saw two years ago I can only imagine what today's ceremony must have been like. Still, it is nothing compared to what we have become used to here in Israel after Yitzhak Rabin was murdered.

No comments: