Monday, March 27, 2006

There are several reasons why I hope that in another 26+ hours we will learn that the next government will have Kadimah and Labor as its main coalition parties. One very important reason is this: I do not want this state to be ruled by bullies who ( are often made to think that they can ) get away with every possible form of political violence ( including cursing and attacking members of the security forces ), violence that at least with one election ( 1996, half a year after Rabin was murdered ) paid off. While I am not a big fan of Kadimah, I think that Tsippi Livni has been the biggest positive surprise of the last Sharon government, and the way in which she was forced from the Mahaneh Yehudah market - where she had as much business being as Michael Kleiner had being in Yaffo, but that is not important here - is a disgrace, one of all too many in the history of Israeli democracy. Tomorrow morning and afternoon I will be working at a polling station in the city where we live. The afternoon and evening I will spend being with our children and writing a behind-the-scenes account of the election day for Wednesday's edition of a Dutch newspaper.

No comments: