Sunday, April 02, 2006

Just finished watching Cold Mountain on DVD. In spite of the mixed reviews that the film received I very much enjoyed it. It is not exactly a feel-good movie but it has several beautiful scenes, an excellent music score ( the hymn in the church scene, various folk songs, Ada Monroe playing the piano ), good actors ( Philip Seymour Hoffman is wonderful ) and a moving story. I already planned to do some serious reading about the American Civil War whenever I have some spare time left but now I am even more determined to do so.
It seems to me, though, that there is one mistake in the movie ( a goof, as they call it at IMDb ).
The announcement about North Carolina's secession comes during a church service which - since everyone is dressed up so nicely - appears to take place on a Sunday. On May 20th 1861 North Carolina was the last state to sign an Ordinance of Secession ( see here and here ), which dissolved the state's association with the United States. This date fell on a Monday. It seems unlikely that news of the secession reached the people of Cold Mountain ( the mountain exists, the village not, I know ) only six days later, or one day early. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No comments: