Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I wonder if Zinadine Zidane will soon reveal what prompted him to butt Marco Materazzi last Sunday. Lip readers ( who must know Italian, or English, or whatever language the Italian defender used to - apparently - ensnare the French captain ) have said that Materazzi made not very complementary references to Zidane's mother and/or sister. That could explain - which is not necessarily the same as justify - Zidane's losing his temper. On Sky News I read that Materazzi called Zidane a "son of a terrorist whore". What really amazes me is the Italian's response to this allegation: "It is absolutely not true, I did not call him a terrorist." This somehow - don't ask me why - reminded me of a joke that I heard years ago: A man who has finally made it in business treats himself to a new Lamborghini! After buying it, he feels guilty so he goes to the Orthodox Rabbi and asks for a mezuzah for the Lamborghini. "You want a mezuzah for what?" the Rabbi asks.
"It's a Lamborghini." "What's a Lamborghini?" asks the Rabbi. "A sports car." "What? That's blasphemy!" the Rabbi shouts. "You want a mezuzah for a sports car? Go to the Conservatives!" Well, the man is disappointed, but goes to the Conservative Rabbi and asks for a mezuzah. "You want a mezuzah for what?" the Rabbi asks. "For my Lamborghini", the man replies. "What's a Lamborghini?" asks the Rabbi. "A car, a sports car." "What kind of sports car?" asks the Rabbi. "Italian." "What? That is blasphemy!" the Rabbi shouts. "You want a mezuzah for a Goyishe car? Go to the Reform!" Again, the man feels guilty and disappointed, but goes to the Reform Rabbi. "Rabbi," he asks, "I'd like a mezuzah for my Lamborghini." "You have a Lamborghini?" asks the Rabbi. "You know what it is?" says the man. "Of course! It's a fantastic Italian sports car. What's a mezuzah?"

No comments: