Wednesday, July 05, 2006

While I think that it would be better to have the World Pride Parade in cosmpolitan Tel Aviv rather than in Jerusalem - claustrophobic as much as it can be homophobic - I find it amusing that zealots from all major religions who are willing to sacrifice other people's lives for holy rocks and stones find a common ground in their absolute opposition to this international demonstration of gay pride. What makes their opposition so hilarious ( and, in more than one way, sad ) is the fact that an Arab MK whose name means 'pimp' in Hebrew ( Sarsur ) claimed, without batting an eyelid, that there are no gays in Muslim society. I really am no expert, but I would say that the odds are against him. Now he and his fellow rigtheous believers also want to ask the Pope to declare that the parade should not be held in the Holy City. Of course I could make all kinds of allusions to ( Muslim, Jewish and Christian ) men who wear dresses and funny hats and many of whom spent their adolescence and early adulthood studying in all-male schools, but I won't, because that would be bigotry, wouldn't it?

No comments: