Thursday, September 28, 2006

A few readers became interested in Oriana Fallaci's The Rage and the Pride because of what they saw as my recommendation of the book. I am not sure if I would recommend the book, though. While I enjoy reading it ( tomorrow I will return it to the library, it is only about 180 pages, relatively large print ) I ama fraid it is way too emotional and over-simplified for me to recommend it. While I more or less agree with her overall theses ( Europe is too ambivalent, lenient and self-denying in its responses not only to Islamists and other fanatical Muslims but also to the activities, manifestations and demands of its mainstream Muslim citizens; political correctness has led to dangerous anti-Western/American cultural relativism and self-hatred among many Westerners ), her arguments are often not very convincing, and her racist remarks ( and what appears to be homophobia ) are sometimes highly disturbing. If not for Fallaci's personal and professional record, this booklet would probably have been ignored as just another pamphlet written by a xenophobe.

No comments: