Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Talk about disproportional responses.

This friendly old man quoted Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus ( late 14th century ) during a very scholarly ( and, I must say, quite interesting ) lecture - with a lot of Greek and medieval philosophy - about the relationship and possible but not necessary conflict between faith and reason, and about the place of theology within the university.

I am willing to bet that this man did not really read the whole lecture. In fact, I doubt if he would have a clue what it is about, even if it was translated into his native tongue. I cannot hear what he was saying, and even if I could I probably would not understand it. His facial expression and the body language of him and those around him says enough, though. Don't you think that his reaction is a bit overdone? Sarah also has something to say on the subject.

No comments: