Wednesday, December 20, 2006

This winter our cellphone provider, Cellcom, offers its customers some wonderful gifts and discounts, in cooperation with leading local commercial chains. The 'action' in each chain is limited to a certain period, lasting between two weeks and about a month. Using a free customer discount card, you recently could buy five books ( good ones, in Hebrew ) for NIS 100,--, or get hundreds of shekels discount on sports clothing. Right now, until the middle of January, you can use the card to get one free movie ticket a week. My wife and I each have a card, and so do my parents/brother/sister-in-law. Yesterday our daughter went to watch a movie with her cousins and grandmother for free, heynam, eyn kasef. Thanks to Cellcom I went yesterday to the Haifa Mall and watched two of the best movies that I have seen in years, Scorcese's The Departed ( with Jack Nicholson, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg and the excellent Matt Damon and Leonardo di Caprio ) and The Illusionist, with one of my favorite actors, Edward Norton ( I loved his performances in Primal Fear and American History X ). If I had paid for the tickets I probably would have enjoyed the movies very much as well, but there is no doubt that the fact that it did not cost me even one agora added to my enjoyment. Normally a ticket is NIS 35 ( 6-7 Euro, about 8 dollars ). For the next four weeks I probably will go and watch some more movies, on my own or with my wife.

No comments: