Monday, February 12, 2007

Although I am not a big sports fan ( and although I have to admit that I never managed to learn how to skate myself ) I remember watching large parts of Olympic, European and World speedskating championships. It is a beautiful sport to watch, and the Dutch have excelled in it for many years. Most of the Dutch champions whom I remember were and are very human and sympathetic sportsmen and -women, often without the cockiness of so many other young sport stars. Yesterday Ireen Wüst and Sven Kramer became allround ( 500, 1500, 5000 and 10000 meters ) speedskating Worldchampions in Heerenveen. If I had been in Holland I might have watched some of the races on television, now I just followed the results online. Kol HaKavod to these two very young ( both are only 20 years old, I think; Kramer is the current European allround champion, a former junior world champion, and winner of a silver and bronze medal at the Olympics in Turin; Wüst was junior world champion in the same year as Kramer, and she won an Olympic gold and a bronze medal in Turin ) athletes.

No comments: