Sunday, May 06, 2007


This is the edible decoration that my wife made for the birthday cake of our two nieces. It features two of Dutch children's literature's most popular characters, Jip & Janneke, drawn by Fiep Westendorp. I never was really fond of them, nor did I really like the other children's songs and stories that their creator Annie M.G. Schmidt wrote. Only because our daughter loves them I started to appreciate the stories. I already read her ( her 4-year-old brother thinks the stories are boring ) two out of the five books that are available. Another one is waiting for me to return home, and I just bought the remaining two. There is a Hebrew translation of the first volume. Only after I finished reading that volume in Dutch, the day before I flew to Holland, did I allow our daughter to read the book in Hebrew.

No comments: