Sunday, June 10, 2007

A year and a half ago I wrote about a Yiddish song of Chava Alberstein, my favorite Israeli singer-songwriter ( female, that is ). The lyrics of the song were written by the Yiddish poet Binem Heller ( 1906 - 1998 ) and tell us about his sister Haya, who was not even ten years old but took care of her brothers while their mother was away working, and who was murdered in Treblinka. Because of my work I am used to reading very sad and moving stories of life and death during the Shoah. When such stories involve children they often affect me very much emotionally, especially ever since I became a father myself. I find it hard to listen to this beautiful song until the end. When I do, I always cry. Here you can see and hear Chava Alberstein and the Klezmatics perform the song.

No comments: