Thursday, March 27, 2008

The long-anticipated movie Fitna, produced by Dutch rightwing politician Geert Wilders, has been released online. At first sight ( there is an English and a Dutch version ) it does not appear to be more shocking or interesting, and only slightly more professionally made, than any of the homemade video or Powerpoint presentations that I received in my mailbox in the last 6 1/2 years. Still, I would not be surprised if these two cartoons by Tom Janssen depict the post-Fitna reality quite accurately. If they do, this whole story will become a classical case study of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
"I could not have filmed it any better myself!" ( Fitna: Had again! Wilders )

"Boo!, Shame on you!, Revenge!, Shame!, Jihad!, Death!, Boycott!.... And now, the movie!"



PS: Please notice the scared faces of Dutch PM Jan Peter Balkenende in the first and of Mr Balkenende and his Foreign Minister Maxime Verhagen in the second cartoon.

No comments: