Monday, May 12, 2008

Déja Vu ( Écrit )

Some people asked me why I do not write more about Israeli politics and the ongoing operation in the Gaza Strip. Lack of time is my main excuse. Also, as long as Gilad Shalit is not set free there is not much to write, I am afraid. Both sides are talking about escalation, 'going one step further', a wholly new ball game, etc. etc. but all of this we already have seen and done before, and there really is nothing new under the sun. Except for some sort of workable political agreement to which all sides will stick, everything has been tried in the past. Since I have so much to do, so little time and even less original or brilliant ideas and solutions, I think that blogging about 'the situation' should not be my first priority right now. NB: I wrote these lines on July 5th 2006, exactly one week before the Lebanon War started. There are too many similarities between then and now for me to be totally at ease and relaxed right now. I really hope that I am just a worrywart ( o.k., I found that word in a dictionary ). I noticed that on the day the war in the North started I even had time and patience to write about my new cellphone. By the way, I still have that phone, and I am still very happy with it. A day later the first rocket landed in Haifa. A week after that we fled to Holland. You can read my postings from those two summer months here and here. It was a very 'productive' period for me as a blogger and writer. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to a very 'dry' and fruitless summer this year.

No comments: