Monday, December 29, 2008

Demonstro ergo sum

I read and hear about worldwide anger and indignation, but when I see the demonstrations it seems to me that 80-100% of the demonstrators are Muslim. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I understand that they have to blow off steam and frustration and to show solidarity with their Palestinian brothers and sisters, and what better way to do that than by shouting hate rhymes against Israel and/or Jews? ( And no, don't answer this question by asking "What about demonstrating against Hamas, Iran, and other destructive regimes, or demonstrating for recognition of Israel and a just and peaceful two-state-solution to the conflict" ). Still, I cannot help noticing that the demonstrators actually represent only one part of the world, an important part, but that does not justify the use of the word 'worldwide'. Besides, in recent years that same part of the world has been seen demonstrating - often very violently, I must say - mainly against certain books, cartoons and movies, so I find it hard to really get upset by their rage.

No comments: