Friday, October 30, 2009
Thursday, October 29, 2009
- "And the child Samuel grew on, and was in favour both with the LORD, and also with men" ( King James version )
- "Each day the Lord and his people liked Samuel more and more" ( Contemporary English Version )
- " The boy Samuel continued to grow and to gain favor both with the Lord and with people." ( Good News Bible )
I was the one who suggested this verse, and my wife, mother-in-law, and brother-in-law ( plus the stonemason ) agreed with me that it describes very well both my late father-in-law as a person, and the rich life that he led. May his memory be a blessing. PS: De Nederlandse vertaling is als volgt ( in resp. de Nieuwe Bijbelvertaling, de Statenvertaling ( 1637 ), en de NBG vertaling ( 1951 ), let op de verschillen in nuance en betekenis ):
- " Intussen groeide Samuel verder op. Hij was zeer geliefd, zowel bij de HEER als bij de mensen."
- " Ende de jongelinck Samuel nam toe, ende wert groot ende aengenaem beyde by den HEERE, ende oock by de menschen."
- " Maar de jonge Samuël nam toe in aanzien en in gunst, zowel bij de HERE als bij de mensen. "
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Friday, October 23, 2009
Monday, October 19, 2009
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
PS: By posting these two cartoons together, I am of course in no way comparing or even linking these two men. While like many people ( including himself ) I have my doubts about Mr Obama being ( already ) the right choice for that prize, I still do have a lot of respect and sympathy for him, and wish him and his government good luck in most of their endeavors.