Friday, October 09, 2009

Nobelachelijk

I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who is amazed and in a way annoyed by this choice. I have a lot of sympathy for Barack Obama, I would have voted for him if I were American, think that he has some very good ideas and approaches to certain highly important subjects ( better than most of his political opponents ), and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for at least one more year. After all, there is still a lot of damage-control that he and his government have to do after eight years of Republican damage-doing in more than one field. Still, it is way too early to give him such a prestigious award, unless such prizes are meant mainly or even only to honor smooth and very gifted talkers. Maybe this proves ( once and for all, some might say ) that the Nobel Peace Prize has lost its prestige (*), and that more than before it has become a political statement. Is it totally impossible that next year Mahmoud Ahmadinejad might be a serious candidate in the eyes of the Norwegians? Anyway, congratulations to the American President, hopefully this will stimulate and strengthen him to continue and maybe even intensify his efforts - which I very much appreciate, let there be no doubt about that; his predecessor did basically nothing for about 7 1/2 years - to move what is left of the Palestinian-Israeli peace process forward, somewhat, somehow. (*) The fact that the choice of the Peace and Literature Prize winners has never been objective and often been controversial, is the reason why I did not include them when I wrote about my little Nobel-'theory' four years ago, although the biographies and family histories of this year's winners of those two prizes - like most if not all of the other winners this year - do underline that theory. PSS: Sorry, I ran out of useful Nobel-related posting-titles in English, so I used a Dutch one.

No comments: