Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sven Kramer

Earlier this week, Sven Kramer won the Olympic gold medal in the 5,000 meters speed skating event. While I was in Holland last week I saw a - not very good - documentary about him, which made me realize how hard this young man works for his success, and how much a whole country has expected from him for several years now, which must put an enormous pressure on his shoulders. After he won, various Dutch VIPs and celebrities told to television cameras how proud they were of Kramer. I believe that you cannot or at least should not be proud of something that you did not have any real part in. This gold medal - let's hope he will win another one or two in the coming weeks - is, most of all, a personal achievement for a great athlete, and for the few men and women who helped him achieve this. Kol HaKavod to him. The pictures of Sven Kramer I found here.

No comments: