Saturday, February 05, 2011

And meanwhile, in Nethanya...

While Egypt is burning, the gas pipeline between Egypt and Israel appears to have been targeted by terrorists, and the recently appointed Egyptian VP Omar Suleiman seems to have survived an assination attempt, I'm afraid many Israelis have another, almost even more burning issue to worry about right now. The first and main IKEA store, in Nethanya has been destroyed by fire. I must confess that it is/was also one of my - and even more so, my wife's - favorite stores in Israel. Also, its restaurant has often been a well-liked stop for us on or way to and from Tel Aviv.

4 comments:

rungholt said...

And I buy licorice and ginger snaps in their shop! I'm upset, too.

I hope it was no criminal act.

Tal said...

One of our favourite stores too, we're still in shock.

Bert said...

I found out that in Rishon LeTzion, where the other - and for now, the only - Israeli IKEA store is located, there is a fodstore (laga'at ba'okhel) where several interesting Dutch food items are sold. One of them is appelstroop, which I never really missed until I bought it at a meeting of the Dutch Forum a few years ago. Since then I have brought one or two jars with me every time I was in Holland. Including the first time, when I had to leave the jars at the airport: I had put them in my handbag, not realizing that they would be considered potential explosives :-) Next time we (or my wife and her friends) travel to IKEA we/she will go and buy a few tasty Dutch items as well.

Bert said...

In other words, as Johan Cruyff would say, each disadvantage has its advantage ;-)