Sunday, July 10, 2011

Buy Blue and White

I've said it before and I will continue to say it, considered the circumstances Israel is a pretty well functioning democracy. Nevertheless, the country's democratic character gets slowly but surely emptied of more and more of its content. This law proposal, which probably will become law soon, is only one example of that phenomenon. You will not see me calling for a boycott of products made in the settlements. First of all, I am not a big fan of boycotts, but what is just as important, I don't want to get into legal trouble. I wonder if I still can say here that I myself normally try to buy products that were produced in Israel itself, or way beyond its borders, and tend to do my best to avoid buying things that were made somewhere between the Green Line and the River Jordan. The fact that it often is difficult to make the distinction is one of the many reasons why it is so easy for Israel/Zionism-in-general-bashers to call for a boycott of all things Israeli/Zionist.

No comments: