Monday, January 30, 2012

Yossi Azoulay - WeHee SheAmda

One of our three children loves music. He is nine years old, plays the organ, sings in the school choir, and knows the lyrics to more Israeli songs than my wife, I myself, and the rest of the extended family combined. Recently my wife and he were at a bookstore in Tel Aviv. He was looking for a book about (or by, I am not sure) Nurit Hirsch, one of Israel's most famous and successful composers (Abanibi, the song that won the Eurovision Songcontest in 1978, was written by her, with the late Ehud Manor writing the lyrics). A soldier heard him ask about the composer, and apparently was amazed by the fact that such a young boy was interested in that particular composer. The soldier told our son and my wife that he works for Galey Tzhahal, the popular army radio station, and that at the end of the month Nurit Hirsch would be a special guest in one of the station's broadcasts. He invited our son to the show, and told him that he could meet her. Tomorrow morning my wife will take him to Yaffo, where the studio is, in a military base. He is very excited, obviously.

In the video that I post here you can hear Yossi Azoulay sing "WeHee SheAmda". The lyrics (*), which tell us about the enemies that the Jewish people have faced over the years and about the Holy One Blessed Be He (together with the Thorah) saving us from those enemies, can be found in the Pesach Haggadah. This musical interpretation was written by Yonatan Razel. Our son has listened many times to this song in the last few weeks, and I keep humming the beautiful melody.  Later I will post videos of two of my favorite songs that were written by Nurit Hirsch.


וְהִיא שֶׁעָמְדָה לַאֲבוֹתֵינוּ וְלָנוּ
שֶׁלֹּא אֶחָד בִּלְבָד עָמַד עָלֵינוּ לְכַלּוֹתֵנוּ
אֶלָּא שֶׁבְּכָל דּוֹר וָדוֹר עוֹמְדִים עָלֵינוּ לְכַלּוֹתֵנוּ
וְהַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא מַצִּילֵנוּ מִיָּדָם

No comments: