Friday, August 03, 2012

A Poem, by Yehudah Amihai




I'm sorry, but I don't remember where I found this poem, by Yehudah Amichai, I just saved it when I came across this picture. I like it, though I am not sure (and I don't have a dictionary with me) what the last word in the eight line means. It has to do something that can be said about a mole, and about a plow, and it is a past participle (passive), so I would say 'burrowed' or 'crumbled'. Both words appear to have more or less the same (quite low) lexical frequency as the Hebrew verb. Here is a translation, but it has at least one thing that I would do differently, in the third stanza. The beginning of that stanza should be something like "But doubts and loves make the world burrow(ed)/crumble(d) like....". The rest of the translation gives you a good idea of the meaning of this fascinating (it's Amichai, after all) poem. Unfortunately I can't search for a reading of the poem in Hebrew on Youtube. I apologize for that.

No comments: