Saturday, November 17, 2012

War Comments I


Unlike Lisa Goldman, my friend on Facebook (and in reality, more or less: we met a few times several years ago and got along very well, and we agree on many, many things; I haven't spoken or mailed with her for quite a while now, for no particular reason besides both of us having busy lives of our own; I am sorry that she does not live in Israel anymore, we desperately need more people like her here), I cannot afford to stay neutral right now. As much as I can't stand the current Israeli government, as much as I criticize much of what Israel has been doing (and not doing) in the last two decades, as much as I think that a different policy of Israel regarding the Palestinian Authority and the settlements would make it much, much easier for the Jewish state to wage its wars (and would avoid some if not most of those wars altogether), as much as I believe that there is a way for Israelis and Palestinians to live side by side without constantly threatening and killing each other and making each other's lives miserable (which is not necessarily the same as peace: for true peace more willingness is needed on both sides, and there is not enough such willingness on either side), as much as I am convinced that electoral and other political motives play a central role in Israel's decision-making process regarding this war (see for instance the articles by Tamar Gozansky, Nehemia Shtrasler, and Yoel Marcus, all in Haaretz), as much as I think that Israe's PR sucks, and as much as I feel sorrow and pity when I see dead and wounded Palestinian children, I do think that Israel could and can not allow Hamas and the other terrorist organizations to terrorize hundreds of thousands of Israeli citizens for weeks, months, and years without expecting any Israeli response. Superficial statements about the proportionality of that response are hypocritical and only serve the terrorists. My main solidarity right now concerns the people of Israel's South (which under the current circumstances means about half of the country), and I fully support the IDF and the IAF, who do their important work under very difficult circumstances. I also fully condemn the sickening bloodthirstiness that can be found online and elswhere, among 'supporters' of both Israel and the Gazans, and hope (against hope) and pray that this war will soon be over, that people on both sides of the border will live in peace and quiet soon, and that this war will be our and their last one (and I don't mean that in an apocalyptic manner).

I will now post - in random order - a few postings and pictures that I found on my Facebook wall. They were all posted by my Facebook friends.

PS: To all those who want to know how my family and I are: We are fine, thank you. Like you, we follow the events and developments mainly through the media. Unlike most of you, we are prepared for the worst, though: the so-called safety room in our house is ready, just in case (water, food, gas masks, books, games, etc.; the room is our sons' bedroom). You never know, Hezbollah might decide to show its 'solidarity' with its murderous colleagues in Gaza, and there is still another war going on in Syria, which could affect us as well. If nothing really crazy happens, this weekend I will go a concert by the Haifa Symphony Orchestra with our 10-year-old son, his first ever classical concert. I hope that soon the people of Beer Sheva and other cities in the south will be able to resume their daily lives as well. And I hope the same for the people of Gaza.

No comments: