Monday, December 24, 2012

Minister of Defense (+ Education)

I won't say anything about the rights and wrongs of an academic boycott of Israel (after all, I am not so sure Israel still is a / the only democracy in the Middle East, and I don't want to get into any legal trouble), but I am afraid that this decision will make life much easier for those who promote such a boycott. By the way, I could not help noticing that hardly anybody raises an eyebrow over the fact that the MINISTER OF DEFENSE was the one who ordered an IDF GENERAL to APPROVE UNIVERSITY STATUS to an institute. Don't ask me why, but to my ears that doesn't sound right. In any truly functioning democracy only the Ministry of Education makes decisions about (institutes of) higher education. But then again, as I said, some of us might question the democratic character of this country, at the risk of being called anti-Semites, Jew/self-haters, or worse.

No comments: