Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Geert W., Draco M., Jan Peter B., and Harry P.


These days I am (finally) reading the Harry Potter series. The books are very entertaining, I enjoy reading them very much, and - I must be honest - so far I have learnt several lexical items from them (words that exist, that is, I am not talking about words invented by the author). In between I also watch the movies. I cannot help it, but Draco Malfoy, Harry's nemesis, reminds me of Dutch politician Geert Wilders. This is particularly ironic when you take into account that former Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende (who was PM when Wilders started his crusade against Islam, Dutch politics and politicians, the EU, etc. etc. etc. - had 'Harry Potter' as one of his nicknames.


Darco Malfoy (Tom Felton) 

Geert Wilders

Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) 

Jan Peter Balkenende

No comments: